Prior to 1902, when the town was incorporated, the community was called Byron. When the post office was to be established, the postal service asked town leaders to provide a list of 10 possible names. There were already several towns using the name of Byron. Townspeople gathered in the general store and provided nine names, but got stumped for a tenth. So the decision was made to break for tea. The beverage became the tenth option, which was approved by the postal service and became the town’s new name.
Tea City Park: Located at the corner of Main Avenue and Brian Street, The Tea City Park features a swimming pool with water slide, basketball courts, playground equipment, a picnic shelter, a grill, fishing pond with fountains, access to a bike path and restrooms.
Prairie Trails Park: Located at the south end of Poplar Avenue, a picnic shelter is surrounded by playground equipment with an open area for soccer fields.
Howling Ridge Park: Tea’s newest park is equipped with tons of fun for all kids. This park is located on N. Devon Avenue featuring playground equipment, a picnic shelter, and pond.
- Population in 2017: 5,448 (99% urban, 1% rural). Population change since 2000: +160.1%
- Median resident age: 28.9 years South Dakota median age: 36.9 years
- Estimated median household income in 2015: $79,154 (it was $50,671 in 2000)
Tea: $79,154 SD: $53,017
- Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $184,665 (it was $96,900 in 2000)
Tea: $184,665 SD: $152,800
- According to the research of South Dakota and other state lists, there were 9 registered sex offenders living in Tea, South Dakota as of January 23, 2019.The ratio of the number of residents in Tea to the number of sex offenders is 523 to 1. The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
- Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $3,275 (1.8%)
- Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $2,982 (1.6%)
Tea Area Schools
As of 2016-2017 Profile of Tea Area School District has 1694 students enrolled, with three buildings—an elementary, intermediate, middle school and high school (shared building)—and a business office building, all located in Tea. The newly established second elementary is located in southern Sioux Falls near 41st Street and Tea-Ellis Road.
Our goal at Tea Legacy Elementary is to provide the opportunity for each child to grow mentally, emotionally, and physically in a safe and caring environment. The teachers have been busy this past summer attending workshops and working together as grade level teams to review curriculum and assessment in science, reading, and math. Legacy Elementary serves grades K-4 and includes special education and speech.
Frontier Elementary’s mission statement and district goals focus on empowering students to learn, grow, and engage in our community on their path toward a successful future. The community strives to support our teachers, staff, and parents, to make this commitment a reality for the students. Frontier has approximately 100 students enrolled in junior kindergarten through fourth grade. The staff at Frontier is very enthusiastic and dedicated to meeting the individual needs of all of our learners.
Tea Area Middle School educates grades 5-8. The comprehensive curriculum provides a wide variety of courses from advanced placement and dual credit to career and technical opportunities. The middle school provides wheel classes, STEM curriculum, and accelerated academic classes. The middle school and high school students are in a one-to-one environment with Chromebooks.
Tea Area High School educates grades 9-12. A set of District goals sets the focus for Tea Area High School: (1) All Students at Tea Area are future Titan Graduates (2) Future Titan Graduates are articulate, fluent, and analytical readers at or above grade level who are ready to apply skills in the real world. (3) Future Titan Graduates can apply mathematics and scientific thinking in real life situations through effective communication and collaboration at or above grade level. (4) Future Titan Graduates are civic leaders engaged in the community through action and service.
You can check out this link for more information on the Tea Area Schools.
Restaurants in Tea
Top 5 Restaurants in Tea, according to www.tripadvisor.com
Tea is located just outside of Sioux Falls, SD, so there are other options in the city. However, if you’re looking for something closer to home, or want to support your local restaurants, these dining options will suit everyone’s craving.
1. Squealer’s Smoke Shack – a hidden gem on the great Plains featuring house-smoked, Texas-style bbq. The brisket is especially popular. The owner may be onsite to welcome you!
2. Pizza Ranch – a local chain with home made crust, and space for banquet events. Restaurant dining features pizza, a salad bar, and an extensive buffet. Delivery is also available.
3. Tea Steakhouse – locally owned and operated steak restaurant, featuring a Porterhouse and steaks grilled to order.
4. Subway – national chain featuring healthy sandwich options, as well as more indulgent breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Eat in or to-go.
5. Marlin’s Grill – Located on the Tea exit off of I29, this restaurant offers good home cooked meals all day long.
Shopping in Tea
Ace Hardware Store – We have a wide variety of services to offer our customers. Anything from equipment rentals to paint matching or blade sharpening and window/ screen repair is done here at Tea Ace. We carry the best brands like Stihl, Weber, Yeti, Honda, Toro, Craftsman and so much more.
Sunshine Foods – Sunshine Foods is locally-owned and locally-involved! We believe in community involvement and supporting one another. Call us and ask about our Booster-Club Discounts, Script-Card Discount, and other fundraising ideas. We are your local community connection for high-quality foods, friendly service, and great prices. Our family-owned store offers a convenient one-stop shop where you can find everything you need from the everyday essentials to specialty items from around the world.
Laurie Belle’s Boutique – Laurie Belle’s Boutique was founded in the Fall of 2013 with the intent of being an online women’s clothing store. The owner’s husband and she designed the store location in Tea, SD to be a family-friendly environment with coffee, inviting scents, assorted treats, and a train table and toy area for the kiddos. We truly love our face to face interactions with our customers in the store, as well as shipping our on-line customer’s priority packages just in time for date night or a special occasion. Laurie Belle’s Boutique feels incredibly fortunate to do what we are passionate about…Bringing women across South Dakota and all of the United States the fashion, styles, and trends that we love!!
Octane Ink – your local, one-stop shop for graphics, logos, printing, and embroidery. Custom car and van wrap featured with crisp, bright graphics. Screen printing and custom apparel offered.
Prairie View Event Hall – Opened in Spring of 2017. A newly renovated banquet space, Prairie View Event Hall is the perfect venue for any size wedding. Seating up to 450 Guests with Banquet Style Arrangement. Invite all your friends and family to come share the day with you! Our 7,500 square foot event hall has room for everyone! We pride our selves in offering a high-quality experience at an affordable price. Weddings can add up fast. Save some of your budget and trust us to make your wedding day a fun and stress-free day, that you will enjoy for a lifetime.
Major Development Growing in Tea
This development is 270 acres of land. It is located just off the I-29 exit into Tea. There will be a gas station, restaurant, and a casino plus some other retailers. This land is zoned strictly commercial and industrial.